Introduction to Instructional Leadership in Science, Technology, Engineering, Environmental Literacy & Sustainability (STEELS) - Event Information
Return to Complete Event List
Show Event Calendar for CSIU | Search Events for CSIU
Event Date and Time
90 Lawton Lane
Milton, PA 17856
The Introduction to Science Instructional Leadership course will engage administrators in the implementation of the latest PA Science, Technology and Engineering and Environmental Literacy (STEELS) Standards. Throughout this course, administrators will engage in an immersive science lesson, become proficient in the SAS hub with the standards and foundation boxes, create an implementation framework and develop an action plan to guide their implementation efforts for their building or district.
- Implementation of 3D standards requires a shift in student engagement, pedagogy, curriculum and assessment.
- Foundational knowledge in Science and Engineering practices, Disciplinary Core Ideas and Cross-cutting concepts to be able to equitably engage every student in every standard.
- Building a framework for implementation of the PA Standards requires Leadership Knowledge, Critical Actions, impacting 3D standards Teaching and Learning, and Sustaining Implementation of standards.
- Strategic Planning for implementation of the standards using the Community State of Science reflection, Program Elements Matrix (PEM), and Strategies for implementation considering areas of science leadership, Instructional Materials, Professional Learning, Assessment and Policies and Practices for Sustained support.
This course design is a hybrid format. The course will include in-person and virtual synchronous course meetings as well as independent asynchronous coursework. Participants will be required to attend all in-person and virtual synchronous course meetings. Participants will be responsible for managing asynchronous coursework outside of course meeting times.
The requirements include reflection in class and asynchronously, creating a science leadership team, completing a template for reflection for strategic planning (state of science, program elements matrix) and creating a Critical Action Plan and Presentation.
In order to run this event, we must have a minimum of 15 registrants.
- Event Dates:
- Everest - April 11 (F2F) - 8 AM - 3 PM (lunch will be provided)
- Frameworks for K-12 Science - April 25 (Virtual) 3PM (1 hr)
- SAS STEELS Hub May 9 (Virtual) 3PM (1 hr)
- Implementation Guide. May 30 (Virtual) 3PM (1 hr)
- Strategic Plan (SoS and PM). June 20 (Virtual) 3PM (1 hr)
- Action Plan. July 11 (Virtual) 3PM (1 hr)
- Critical Action Presentations. Aug 1 (F2F) - 12 NOON - 3 PM (lunch will be provided)
- Cost: $350 per person
- Lunch: will be provided on the two F2F dates (April 11 & August 1).
- Target Audience: Administrators and science leaders.
- Registration Deadline: April 5, 2023 by 12:00 Noon
- PIL credits hours: 40.0 (required: attendance at all course days and completion of the embedded work)
- Evaluation: a link will be sent to your email on the last day of this event. We value your opinion and ask that you complete this evaluation so that we may access interest in futures professional development offerings.
- Credit Card: If you choose this payment option, please be advised that if you are a district and have several staff attending, our system does not allow for group registrations at this time. For credit card refunds, please allow three-four weeks for processing.
- P.O. (Purchase Order): If you choose this payment option, you authorize the CSIU to bill your district or organization for your attendance at this event. We will not bill your district or organization until after the event. If you do not have a P.O. number when registering, please feel free to place your district or organization name in the space provided. If you are a CSIU employee registering, please place the billing budget code in the space provided.
CANCELLATION POLICY: If you are unable to attend this event, please confirm by email to: [email protected] by April 5, 2023 to receive a full refund. Refunds will be issued in the same form payment was made. Please allow three-four weeks for processing.
- If you have any questions regarding event content, please contact Dr. Colleen Epler-Ruths by email: [email protected]
- If you have any difficulty creating a user account or have questions regarding registering for this event, please contact Audrey Jows by email: [email protected]
Registration is open for this event until Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 1:00 pm.