Raising a Thinking Child Mini-Series for Parents/Caregivers - Event Information
Event Date and Time
What hopes and dreams do you hold for your child? In order for your child to reach those dreams, they will need to solve problems and handle conflicts along the way. Did you know that the way that you react to and interact with your child impacts their behavior? Raising a Thinking Child (RaTC) mini-series provides parents and caregivers tools and techniques that you can use in everyday life to help your child learn to handle conflict, solve problems and build empathy, resilience and independence in a healthy way.
Raising a Thinking Child (RaTC), developed by Dr. Myrna Shure, is a companion to the evidence-based classroom program, I Can Problem Solve (ICPS). This three-part RaTC mini-series provides families of children ages 4-8 with new parenting tools. Each hour-long session includes strategies that empower parents to encourage children to learn how – not what – to think and help our children become the people we dream they will be.
- Session 1: Question Everything. Learn another positive way to interact when faced with a familial conflict that encourages empathy, resilience, and independence.
- Session 2: Rewrite the Script. Every family experiences conflict. Some ways of responding to a conflict are more useful than others. Learn a new way of communicating with children so they can make independent choices and learn from their own mistakes.
- Session 3: Use Your Words. Teach your children the language of problem-solving by using RaTC vocabulary while reading to them. Learn how reading can help us practice listening to our children, help our children feel understood, encourage early literacy, and strengthen the parent-child relationship.
Training Platform: Zoom
Dates and Times: August 4, 11,18, 2022, 6:30-7:30 p.m. ET
Cost for 3 sessions: $60 USD
Supplemental Materials: (not required for participation)
- Raising a Thinking Child Workbook by Dr. Myrna B. Shure is available from the publisher, Research Press. https://www.researchpress.com/?s=Raising+a+Thinking+Child
- Dr. Myrna B. Shure’s, Thinking Parent, Thinking Child: Turing Everyday Problems Into Solutions, (second edition) is available from the publisher, Research Press. https://www.researchpress.com/?s=Thinking+Parent+Thinking+Child
Registration is open for this event until Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm.