Collins Writing Program Workshops - Event Information
Event Date and Time
Collings Writing Program Workshops include the following trainings:
- DAY 1: Selecting and Teaching Critical Writing Skills - This session will provide an overview of the Five Types of Writing and focus on using Types One and Two as activities to engage and assess students using quick, teacher-friendly, research-based writing assignments and three and four types which include focus correcting,oral reading as an editing strategy, ad peer review. Dr. Collins will explain how to select focus correction areas (FCAs) that are aligned to state and national standards and present an eight-step plan to teach critical writing skills.
- DAY 2: Three Essential Writing Assignments - This session will demonstrate how to use best practice activities and assignments to help all students learn, retain, and use content vocabulary.Dr. Collins will show how to use a short, easy to assess, cross curricular writing assignment that increases reading comprehension, builds and reinforces content area knowledge and understanding, and improves critical writing skills in grades 3–12. This session will also demonstrate how to use compare and contrast grids to develop understanding of course content and structure sophisticated multi-paragraph essays.
- Location: Zoom Virtual training (link will be provided to registrants before the training)
- Workshop: 8:30 am to 2:00 pm (Each day will be broken into 3 time sections: 8-9:30 am; 10:00-11:30 am; 12:30-2:00 pm)
- Cost: $100 per person/per day
- Target Audience: 4-12 Content Teachers,Reading specialists, Special Educators teachers, Instructional Coaches, Administrators
- Registration Deadline: October 8, 2020 by 12:00 pm
- Act 48 hours: 4.5 hrs per day, 9 hours total (2 days). Both days are not required to earn Act48, however you must attend a full day session in order to receive Act48 hours. No partial hours will be given. The CSIU will upload Act 48 hours for this event to the PDE PERMS system). Anyone requesting Act 48 hours must provide the correct PPID# and provide proof of attendance (sign-in and sign-out roster provided at the event).
- Credit Card: If you choose this payment option, please be advised that if you are a district and having several staff attending, our system does not allow for group registrations at this time. For credit card refunds, please allow three-four weeks for processing.
- P.O. (Purchase Order): If you choose this payment option, we will not bill your district or organization until after the event. If you do not have a P.O. number when registering, please feel free to place your district or organization name in the space provided.
CANCELLATION POLICY: If you are unable to attend this event, please confirm by email to: email@example.com by October 8, 2020 to receive a full refund. Refunds will be issued in the same form payment was made. Please allow three-four weeks for processing.
- If you have any questions regarding event content, please contact Christine Mitcheltree by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have and difficulty creating a user account or questions regarding registering for this event, please contact Audrey Jows by email to: email@example.com
Please choose from one of the following 3 options:
Registration for Collins Writing Porgram Workshops-Days 1 & 2 is open.
Registration for Selecting and Teaching Critical Writing Skills - Day 1 ONLY is open.
Registration for Three Essential Writing Assignments- Day 2 ONLY is open.